Thursday, August 9, 2007

Who put music in my heart?

I have to thank my German grandmother for teaching me to love and appreciate myself. When I hear other women complaining about their figures or faces, I always think I am just wonderful. When I turned 14, I felt too tall and too fat, even though back then I weighed less than I do now. No matter when I would see my grandmother, and as a teen I saw her often, as an adult much less so, she would always tell me I was too thin, and I needed to eat. I suppose that attitude comes from people who have actually been truly hungry and deprived of food. After WWII there was little to eat, and my grandmother made sure her husband and children had something to eat before she did.
The other thing she taught me was to appreciate my looks, at an age when I was comparing myself to the beauty icons of the day.. She would say, “Your youth alone makes you beautiful, no matter what.” 30 years later, I know what she meant. I look at young women fretting about their looks, so unhappy with themselves. They need my grandmother to tell them they are too thin, no matter what, and that youth, all by itself, makes you lovely.

No comments: