Thursday, July 26, 2007

Chapters 9 and 10 in Inside Out

I have to say I really like this book. It is one of the more useful books on writing that I have read. Chapter 9 discusses what good writing actually is. The authors make an excellent point that we as teachers ought to look for what is good in the writing and have the students work on developing that further, rather than focusing on what is bad in the kid's writing. Of course I always pointed out what the kids did well in writing, but I always had them work on what sucked in their writing. So I am going to change that this year, I hope. Since I am teaching AP for the first time, I may still have topoint out where they really need to improve . . . I am a little unsure of that. I will have to think about that some more.

Chapter 10 was also very good. It discussed the revision process and how very difficult that is. I like the idea of student conferences. i only did that last year when we were working on the TAKS essay and the research paper, but I will try to incoprporate it more as well as using groups to help with that process. I think the list of suggestions for revisions on pages 144-46 are very helpful, and I will definitely work them into my writing program somehow. Anyway, I am still enjoying the book and getting a lot out of it. :)

1 comment:

Janelle said...

I don't think you're alone on asking students to work on the weakest part of their writing. I do think, however, that a shift to examing good writing and praising writing successes may provide writers with the needed information to continue to grow.