Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Response to "Teachers as Researchers"

I have been meaning to keep a journal of my experiences in the classroom for years, but I have never made myself do it. This article may inspire me to finally do it because the author offers some compelling reasons to do so. First, I liked her anecdote about the misspelled word. How ironic that that was the only word the kids did not mispell on the quiz. Further, I liked how she had her kids write about their writing and revision processes. What a great metacognitive process! Finally, documenting our classroom experiences is valuable not only for ourselves, but even to offer as a learning tool for others who might benefit from our experiences. Also, a writing teacher ought to write--something I have neglected--hm, I am glad I read this article because it and NWP are going to make a writer out of me again and for that I am grateful.

3 comments:

Jeannine Hirtle said...

Hi Dianna,

Thank you for your beautiful thoughts and words. We are blessed to have this time to come together to discover, rediscover, or celebrate the writer's within each of us.

Janelle said...

I comppletely agree about the importance of metacognition. I'm wondering how many teachers allow this time for students.

I do think we also need to reflect on our practice. What are your ideas on this? I think our reflection would be a great model for our students, but what do you think this might look like?

Kinderbeanie :) said...

You had the same "ah-ha" moment that I did when I sat in class--if we want kiddos to write, we need to model the importance and expectation for them. We are learning so much from and with each other...

What do you think you will be able to take back to your campus in August?