Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Response to CHapters 2-3 of Inside Out

I like this book because it is practical and useful. So many academic textbooks are full of educational blather. But this one actually offers hands-on ideas that you can IMMEDIATELY use. How refreshing. Chapter Two discussed the writing process, which has been written on by every Engl professor and their dog. But these guys actually offer a new twist AI the writing process, which I found refreshing and user friendly. I also enjoyed Chapter Three, which offered concrete tips on how to structure the classroom environment to facilitate writing. I also liked the questionaires the authors created, and I am thinking of using them in my classes this fall. I really appreciated the many ideas to get peer dialogue going and creating an atmosphere of commnuity in the classroom. So far, so good. The book is pleasant reading, and even better, I find myself actually gettting a lot out of it.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

I am wondering how your classroom compares to the book? Are there similar strategies that you have used that have worked? Could you share these?