Thursday, July 12, 2007

Cracked Sentences

Uncracked/Cracked Sentence

I came to dislike her intensely and soon called her mother about her behavior because I wanted to write her up.

Because of Miranda, I dreaded teaching second period. Every class became a struggle to keep Miranda in her seat, to keep her from turning around in her seat to talk to the boy behind her, to avoid her caustic disrespect, to prevent her from insulting others. I knew from her mother that Miranda was self-destructive, and I ought to have felt kindly and sympathetic towards her, guiding her towards a path of healing, but I didn’t. Her constant negativity grated on my nerves. I began to wish she would self-implode. But she never did, despite my earnest wishing for it, so against the will of her parents and psychologist, I decided I was ready to write a referral on her.

No comments: