Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Response to Inside Out: Thoughts on Becoming an Effective Teacher of Writing

The authors point out the difficulties in being a teacher of writing and how one never achieves perfection in that pursuit. I liked the belief system which they developed, and I appreciate how they address real life difficulties teachers experience. For example, small group revison practice can become an exercise in herding cats in a class of regular level English students. I liked Dan's list of ideal practices, and I take some solace in that he took 37 years to arrive at these practices.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

I believe looking at the job of a writing teacher as something that constantly needs to be reexamined as being so important. How do we reflect on our teachings so we do not become that stale writing teachers whose once successful strategies have grown tired and uninspired?