Monday, July 9, 2007

Response to Art Peterson

I really liked what Art wrote. He said that writing takes time-- I wonder whether I gave my students enough time to do their best work. Often my students would rather nail their thumbs to their desk rather than write, and now I wonder if that is because I never gave them anything that really interested them to write about. Furthermore, how can I best use technology to advance their writing skills? I also agree with Art that writing is really the best way to evaluate whether a student has actually learned the content matter. I wonder if the U.S. has lost its cutting edge in education because we don't make our students write during their assessments--their tests are primarliy multiple choice. You won't find a mulitiple choice test in European schools. Plus, I appreciated how Art said that writing teachers must write. In all honesty, I haven't been, but I will now!

No comments: