Monday, July 16, 2007

Response to Action,Hope , Politics Article

This article points out the necessity of including ELL kids in writing improvment. Whetherr bilingual education should be outlawed or not is beyond my scope of understanding. Having gone through that experience myself as as a child transplanted to Germany, I know first hand how difficult it is to acquire and perfect a second language. And learning the writing conventions of a language is the most dificult of all. For example, the comma rule of restricted and non-restricted clauses doesn't exist in German. So this rule is incredibly difficult for me, even though I have a master's in English. So I think unless you have been through the experience of what it is like to acquire another langauge, being able to speak it, read in it, and write in it, I don't think one can quite grasp the challenge and the intellect required to do so successfully. AIn any case, what the teacher in the article accomplished withhis ELL students is impressive.

1 comment:

ginny's world said...

Thanks for sharing your haikus. They're wonderful!