Monday, July 23, 2007

Response to Chapters 5 and 6

CHapter 5 was all about journaling. The chapter offered some good ideas and addressed the common problems associated with journaling, namely grading. I use the plus, check, and minus system as they do. I agree with them that journal writing increases fluency. Although I personally don't journal anymore, I did so religiously for 15 years, and I think it helped my writing as well.

Chapter 6 was all about developing voice in writers, a difficult thing for young writers who have not found their voices yet, and are not even aware that thye might have one. Again, useful, concrete suggestions on how to develop voice that any teacher could take and use in the classroom immediately.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

What do you currently use to develop voice in your students?

Do you think you will begin to journal again to model this for your students?